Membership in the IFNH is open to the faculty and staff of Rutgers University who subscribe to the vision, mission and core values of the institute. In addition, there is a unique membership program for students, and special options for non-Rutgers personnel who are working closely with IFNH members on center or program related activities. Members of the institute are expected to align themselves with one or more of the institute’s centers or thematic programs, and to be an active participant therein. The various membership options are described below.
- Regular Member is by application and subject to the approval of the IFNH Leadership Team.
- IFNH Student Ambassador is a special membership program for students and approved by the program director.
- IFNH Visiting Scholars is a category of membership that recognizes visiting faculty working with members of the institute. Visiting Scholars are appointed by the Center Director of the relevant research program.
- IFNH Visiting Scientist is a category of membership for non-academic scientists working with members of the institute. Visiting Scientists are appointed by the Center Director of the relevant research program.
- Member at Large is a special membership category that recognizes that not all applicants fit into the current membership paradigm, but who are in a position to make significant contributions to the institute. Members at Large are approved by the IFNH Director.
Privileges of membership include access to the resources of the institute to further one’s research pursuant to the mission of the IFNH. Examples of this benefit includes the opportunity to have grants supported and administered through the institute, the opportunity to apply for pilot funds in response to IFNH "Request for Proposals", preferred rates for services and space offered by IFNH, and the opportunity to request IFNH sponsorship of conferences and meetings.